Penn State’s Brush with Death

Via EDSBS, the story of just how bad the situation was at Penn State, and how close they came to having the nicest abandoned football facility since the 2006 Oakland Raiders:

When Gene Marsh got the call on the morning of July 17, he was holed up in a one-room cabin — with no running water and no toilets — in woodsy Chebeague Island off of Maine. “A shack fit for the Unabomber,” says Marsh, a 60-year-old tart-tongued Tuscaloosa, Ala., lawyer. Only six days earlier, he had been hired by Penn State to help negotiate sanctions from the NCAA in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal. On the phone was Donald Remy, the NCAA’s general counsel. The news was grim. Remy said Penn State was facing an unprecedented punishment: a multiple-season death penalty, no football for years.

“Are you overselling this?” Marsh asked.

“Absolutely not,” Remy said.

One thought on “Penn State’s Brush with Death

  1. Incredible. Reading that made me realize that as bad as the NCAA hit Bama, we were never in any danger of losing football for four years. I’m convinced that Penn State would have gotten the death penalty for 4 years. At least now, they have a chance to have a program a decade from now. 4 years of no football would have been the sure end of that program forever. They’d be lucky to be SMU.

    I was not in favor of the NCAA making this power grab, but I can’t blame Penn State for capitulating given the alternative.

Leave a Reply